Thursday, May 28, 2009

I want more abandoned buildings

It's been surreal here in Japan. Everything is achieving normalcy, now, but it's been weird.

The first case of swine flu broke out in Ibaraki, which is in the Osaka Prefecture, on May 16. That was a Saturday. By Sunday it was up to 39 people, and Japan was essentially freaking out. Cases were reported in Osaka and Hyogo Prefectures. The governor of Hyogo ordered that all public and private schools be closed for the next week. I live in Hyogo, and that was last week. It was like a long holiday, except that you couldn't go anywhere. Himeji, Kobe, Osaka, etc. were stricly off-limits. I managed to get out of Kamigori once or twice, but not far out. Face masks were sold out all over the prefecture. They're still in short supply. Every public facility has disinfectant right inside the door to clean your hands. It's definitely strange, compared to the States. The good news, though, is that the number of new cases peaked last Wednesday, and the fear is subsiding. Kinda'.

Two weeks ago (May 20), I met a dude named Daniel. He came to Kouto with another English teacher to help me with a class. He's cool. And he's an excellent English teacher. He hooked me up with a lot of good info about where to go for training. He's married to a Japanese woman and has a newborn. After talking for a while, we exchanged numbers and said goodbye. We ended up hanging out last Thursday. I met him in Sayo and we went to a coffee shop called Brick for dinner. We had pizza. Yes, they have pizza in Japan. No, it's not the same as pizza in America. But it was good. The only strange thing that I found on it was corn, but there was probably a few other things I'm forgetting. And cheese in Japan is weird. I don't know how exactly to describe it. Processed, I guess.

Pizza in Sayo

Daniel


I saw him again at Kouto today, and he invited me out to his place this Saturday. That will be cool, because I'll get to meet his family. He's a gamer, so I'm naturally drawn into friendship with him. I hope to hang out with him more often while I'm here.

Last Saturday I went out to dinner with the Imaoka family and one of their friends. That was fun. We went to a place right down the road from my house. I don't recall the name, however. It's a yakiniku joint. You get a big plate of raw meat and veggies and cook it up at your table. Delicious. I mentioned to Matoko Imaoka that he is a master at this type of cooking. He responded with, "Everyone in Japan is." Here's a picture of Imaoka sensei, her son Otaro and their friend Chika.

Chika, Otaro and Imaoka sensei


On Sunday, I went to a BBQ with the Imaoka family. It was at their friends' house here in Kamigori. Is was a blast. We ate delicious food, I met a bunch of cool people, drank some beers, played some catch.

Kamigori BBQ

BBQ Party Shot!


Then I had to cut out early. I made plans at one with a couple friends, Miyazaki and Shuu chan. Miyazaki picked me up, and we went to grab Shuu chan. They are both Gundam fans, like me, so we headed out to an arcade in Tatsuno. Our main goal was to play a game called Kidō Senshi Gundam: Senjō no Kizuna, or Mobile Suit Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield. It consists of eight networked pods, each with one player. You basically sit in this chair, and you have a 180 degree view of the battlefield as you shoot and smash your way through giant robots with your giant robot. There are two joysticks for the controls, each with four buttons. It's ridiculously awesome. I have an ID card for the game, and am currently ranked as a second-class pilot. That's not bad for only three games. I also ended up playing some Street Fighter IV, and now have around 1500 Battle Points. We also hit up this sweet shop in Himeji. It was like a big warehouse filled with cool stuff that I want to own. Toys, videogames, models, manga, anime and more. It was great.

This week has actually been mellow. I haven't done anything other than teach. On Monday I went to a local elementary school to teach an English class. That was fun, but the class was larger than I'm accustomed to. On Tuesday, I had my first parent English class. This is for the parents of kids at Kouto. Only one parent actually came, so it was easy. It will be a weekly class, and I'm really hoping that more parents show up.

Being a native English speaker in a small Japanese town, I've been asked by a bunch of people to teach classes at various locations. I haven't turned anyone down yet, because I appreciate the experience I'm gaining. But I might need to soon. My schedule is filling up fast. I also do some private tutoring at night, now. On top of that, everyone knows that I'm a graphic designer. So I'm going to redesign the Kouto web page. Which will be fun. Then I'm going to paint Imaoka sensei's fence. Then, who knows. Something else. I'm not complaining. I'm just busy. And tired.

I haven't prepared any drink photos for today, so I'll leave you with a picture of a replica Ainu house from a thousand years ago. And an abandoned gas station in Ako. Sweet dreams.

Ainu House

Abandoned Gas Station, Ako

0 comments:

Post a Comment