Thursday, June 11, 2009

Confusion

I've been experiencing some weird things, lately. I don't mean things that are happening in Japan, but things that are happening to me because of Japan. If that makes any sense. I think that I'm having a weird case of shock. I'm not going to call it culture shock, because I'm positive that's not what's happening. Maybe lifestyle shock? Daniel told me that it's pretty normal to be totally fine for a while, then suddenly feel messed up. Just about all of my normal habits have changed, and I think that my body is feeling it. I don't eat the same, I don't sleep the same. Man, I don't even think the same. That part might be culture shock, a little. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon.

I have been hanging out with Daniel a bit since my last post. I went to his house and met his family, and that was really cool. He lives with his Japanese wife and her parents. He also has a new baby. So I met all of his family in Japan. We stayed up super late and played Wii games all night. In the morning I helped him mow the lawn and clean up the yard a bit while his family was at church. This is an interesting sentence to write about a Japanese household. His in-laws are Christian, and they live in a western style house out in Ishii. Which is near Sayo. Which is kinda' close to Kamigori, but takes a long time to get to. After mowing the lawn, his family came home and made me some delicious okonomiyaki. Overall, it was a good time.

Last weekend I went to Otsu with the Imaoka family. We went shopping, but I didn't really buy anything. I got something for myself, because it was cheap. But I was looking for souvenirs for people back home. There is just so much cool stuff here that I don't even really know where to start. I'll have to write a list or something. Otsu is near Himeji. We went to a bunch of game stores, too. Imaoka sensei even introduced me to a huge anime store in Himeji that I wasn't even aware of. And it's right next to the station. Guess I just missed it every time I went there.

Jen bought her tickets to come out in August. I'm very excited about that. I'll be back in LA for a short time in the beginning of July, but it will be fun for Jen to come to Japan again. I can show her a whole new side of Japan. We went to Tokyo last October, and that was awesome. But it will be cool to show her around the countryside, instead of the city. I can't wait.

There are no pictures today, because I'm having trouble with my Flickr account. I do have the option of uploading images directly to the blog, but I don't like the way they are handled here. Next time, I promise. And it won't be so long between posts.

Now, I have a private lesson to give. More soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't believe that you're on your way back for break already-- well almost anyways. Hopefully the confusion will pass, but till then, hang in there. Looking forward to catching up.

-Mike

Jonathan said...

Thanks, man. I'm looking forward to it, too. I'm ready to see my friends again.

Unknown said...

i am contemplating taking a job teaching in the same city-except its volunteer,and i get a food allowance(which doesnt sound like leisure time/beer/gaming money,weak).im guessing you went for a paying program,correct? its new to me but i have background experience teaching/counseling (before i got into cartoon/game industries).any suggestions? there was no link to your email.
feel free to email me.
sphynx345@yahoo.com

Post a Comment