Sunday, April 19, 2009

Manju and Penguins

So, I didn't end up going to Himeji today. I woke up early and talked to Jennifer. While I was watching Dragonball Z, I heard some noise outside. I put on my shoes and went to check it out. Turns out there was a baseball game starting soon at Kamigori High School, which is almost literally behind my house. As I stood watching the warm-up, a player from Kamigori High waved and said, "Good morning." I waved back. He then said, "Today baseball game. Please look." I said okay, and went to the nearby vending machine to grab a bottle of green tea. I watched the game for an hour or so, then went home to meet Imaoka-sensei and her family.

They showed up right on time at 11. Which I totally expected. Everyone in Japan is very punctual. I jumped in the car and off we went. First, to pick up Otaro from his grandmother's house. Then lunch. I don't know the name of the place we went, but it was good. This is Imaoka-san and I:

Imaoka-san and I


He loves early Americana. He even showed me his oil can collection. American oil cans from the 50's and earlier. It was pretty cool. After lunch, we went to Ako to find me a pair of shoes for school. Slippers are no good for running around with kids all day, and I can't wear my outside shoes inside. We went to a shoe shop, and there were all kinds of awesome shoes. I saw a pair of Onitsuka Tigers (which I wear now) that I really wanted. They are way cheaper here than in the States. The shop did not have any shoes in my size. I have giant feet. Size 12US is a 28.5cm, and that's big for Japan. Maybe I'll find some shoes tomorrow.

We then made our way to Ako Castle. Or rather, the remnants of Ako Castle. The main castle is gone, but the walls are still there. It was pretty.

Ako Castle

Otaro at Ako Castle


Ako Castle is home to the legend of the 47 Ronin, or 47 Samurai. An old tale of loyalty that is very famous in Japan. Read about it here.

47 Samurai


After leaving the castle, we went across the street to a shop that sells manju. Manju is a Japanese sweet that is made with wheat flour, salt and sugar, wrapped around sweet red bean paste. Ako is famous for their manju. It was delicious. Imaoka-sensei asked if I'd like to try some traditional green tea, but she warned that it is very bitter. I said yes, because I want to try everything here. I found it to be quite tasty and refreshing. We left the manju shop and walked down the street to a Japanese antique shop. Antique toys. It was sweet.

The Imaoka Family and I

Ako Antique Toys


It reminded me of my dad's office, except everything was Japanese. There, I tried a kendama for the first time. And I totally won!

Kendama and Victrola


Imaoka-sensei wanted to show me her English school, so we came back to Kamigori. She has a small school near my house. I dig it. Then we went back to the Imaoka house and drank a few beers and ate some delicious food. Imaoka-sensei wanted to see some of my art, so I showed her an old website with some of my spraypaint art and drawings. She saw a picture of penguins that I painted and asked me to paint them on her front step. So I did.

Imaoka House


After playing with Otaro a lot, I taught Imaoka-san how to juggle. If he practices he'll be good at it. He's a natural. Then I came home. It was an awesome day.

And the drink of the day is:

Kirin Chu Hai Strong
Chu Hai Strong


It's like Sparks, but better. This happens to be grapefruit flavor, but it also comes in lemon. I like both.

0 comments:

Post a Comment