Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Osaka and Pre-School Kouto

Apologies for the brief lapse in activity. It's been a busy few nights.

On Monday I went to Osaka. Finally. I have always wanted to check it out, and I finally had the chance. I rather enjoyed it. Took me almost two hour to get there by train. While passing through Kobe on the train, I went beneath Akashi Kaikyo Bridge, the longest suspension bridge in the world. Unfortunately I was unable to get any pictures of it. Next time I pass by, I'll be sure to sit on the right side of the train.

Arriving in Osaka, I was immediately struck by how different it is than Tokyo. I mean, aside from the size. Tokyo is this gleaming metropolis, full of tall buildings and charming side streets. Osaka was more like a gritty, older city. Like the New York that I imagine (I've never been). There are definitely some interesting things, though. Take the HEP 5 Building, right outside of Osaka Station.

Osaka HEP 5 Building


It's like a ten-story department store with a giant ferris wheel sticking out of the top. I went inside, but it was a bit upscale for me. Like a vertical version of The Grove in Beverly Hills. As I ventured further afield, I didn't find too much that was very interesting. I didn't look that hard. But I eventually arrived at Osaka Castle.

Osaka Castle

Osaka Castle


That was awesome. Given a choice, though, I prefer Himeji Castle. I didn't go into the castle this time. I want to do that with Jen when she comes out to visit.

After Osaka Castle, I went across the city to Shinsaibashi, the shopping district. Basically one long-ass shopping street. I had to find some shoes for school. And I did! I'll try to remember to take a picture of them when I get back to school. Anyway, I found some shoes and tried to win a toy or two. I did not win any toys. After Shinsaibashi, I went to Den Den Town (Osaka's answer to Akihabara in Tokyo). It was a small area, but I saw some interesting things.

Den Den Town

Ultraman in Osaka


After that I came home. And I got soaked in the rain. And I'm fine with that.

No drink of the day, today. Here are some pictures of my school, instead!

Pre-School Kouto

Kouto Hall

Kouto Play Room

Kouto Recreation Room


More to come.

3 comments:

Sound Off San Diego! said...

Dude, this is Tito from Costa Rica. Your blog is way cool. Sounds like you're having a good time, keep that up. I'd love to try a Kirin Chu Hai Strong sometime. Can you email me one as an attachment?

Jonathan said...

Hey man! Thanks. I'd love to send you one, but I think there might be some filesize issues.

Stacey said...

I did not know there was another gaijin teacher in Kamigori! From reading your blog, it looks like you live very close to Kamigori High School, where I teach. If you ever want to meet up, shoot me an email! StaceyShanahan@gmail.com.

Post a Comment