Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Suzusho to Sakura e ikimashita

Today was a blast. I got to school and started welcoming the kids. When everyone arrived, we had clean-up time. Then followed basically the same schedule as yesterday. But today there was a bonus! I went with Tachibana-sensei, Ryo-sensei and 19 of the kids to the tulip garden that is down the hill from the school. It was awesome!

Koto Kids Field Trip

Koto Kids Field Trip


That, plus nap time (these are the younger students), took a couple of hours. Then Ryo-sensei drove me to Ukaiya, the local bookstore. I told her that I had to get a Japanese-English dictionary. She asked the clerk, but they did not have an English section. It's Kamigori. I told her that it was no problem, as I have to go to Himeji this weekend for a few things anyway. The list includes a dictionary, a hat (for going on walks with the kids) and inside shoes for Koto School. I told Imaoka-sensei, the volunteer English teacher, that I needed to go to Himeji this weekend, and she invited me to go along with her family. Which is totally rad.

After school I walked down to Suzusho. That's a yakitori shop near the train station. One of the other volunteer teachers, Yamamoto-sensei, and her husband own the shop. She gave me her number and told me to come down, so I did. It was freaking delicious. I got there earlier than I had planned, and saw a parent of one of the Koto School kids outside. We said hello to each other. I didn't know exactly where Suzusho was, as I'd never been before. She showed me. Right before walking in I met Ikki. Ikki is one of the coolest people I've met, so far. He took me inside and directed me to Yamamoto-sensei. She sat me at a table that had a "Reserved" sign. She was expecting me. A few minutes after I sat down, Yamamoto-sensei told me to sit at the bar. Now, this shop seats 25 people *maybe*. It's tiny. But I moved and ended up next to Nakamura. Nakamura owns the local kimono shop. He's awesome, too. Ikki came back from elsewhere and sat down between us, as I had taken his seat. Then the night really started.

I was handed all kinds of Yakitori. Liver, throat muscles and some others. It was all very good. Throughout the meal Ikki and I talked to each other, with Nakamura jumping in occasionally. Ikki speaks pretty good English, and Nakamura speaks a little English. Ikki and I taught each other some words and drank a few beers.

Ikki and I at Suzusho


Then it came out that I like karaoke. They thought that was great. And they decided that we should go immediately. We got up to leave, and I asked for the check. Yamamoto-sensei said no, and that I don't need to pay because I am a Koto School volunteer. She's very nice. We left and walked down the street a couple blocks to Sakura. Sakura is a tiny little bar that has karaoke. We drank more beer, sang a bunch of songs, and had a great time.

Mama-san and I

Ikki at Sakura


Nakamura introduced me to the owner of the sushi shop, and gave me his phone number. He said I should call him so we can go out for sushi soon. Then he and Ikki basically kicked me out. "Promise time!" they kept saying. They told Yamamoto-sensei that they would have me home by ten, because she was worried that I'd get too drunk. So I walked home.

The whole night was awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh i am so happy for you.

Jonathan said...

Thanks. I'm having a freaking blast. I love it here.

Post a Comment