Saturday, April 25, 2009

Takoyaki

What a busy week it's been. I began doing after school tutoring for elementary school students. I mean, I've only done one class so far, but I can see how I'll be in for long days in the next few months. But I like the kids, and teaching English isn't very difficult. Mostly it involves just speaking in English to the children all day.

I went to Himeji yesterday to pick up a birthday gift for Ikki. He told me shortly after we met that he likes the puzzle game Puyo Puyo. In America it was released as Puyo Pop Fever. It's a fun game. I was in Uniqlo a week ago, and I spotted a new spring/summer line of t-shirts called Japan>Game. They are shirt designs based on Japanese video games (most of which are also in the US). So I picked up a Puyo Puyo shirt for Ikki, and a Mega Man shirt for myself.

Japan>Game: Mega Man

Japan>Game: Mega Man


After getting back home and wrapping Ikki's gift, I went shopping with Nakamura, Miyazaki and Shon-kun in preparation of the takoyaki party. We bought a bunch of stuff, then came back to the house and made some takoyaki. A bunch of people showed up. And, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, I forget some of their names.

Takoyaki Party


Joe is another teacher from the US that lives in Kamigori. He teaches at the Junior High School. He took this shot for me. If I look a bit drunk, well, it's because I was totally drunk. Everyone brought stuff, which was very cool of them. Shuu-chan (in the blue jacket) brought me a bottle of wine and a 12 year-old bottle of Scotch. He's super nice, but quiet. I have to say, my Japanese was tested last night. I had to ask people to slow down, but I was able to get along for most of the evening. I had to ask Joe for help a few times, though.

Joe actually gave me a lot of insight about Kamigori. He told me about the giant spiders, poisonous snakes and amphetamine-inducing effects of centipede infused sake. He also gave me a bit of local history, and posited some interesting opinions about Japanese culture in general. For example, when you say to a Japanese person that you like Japanese culture, they almost always mention the seasons. As if this is the only country with all four. Interesting.

Today is just cleaning and relaxing. I did get out to take a shot of Kamigori after the rain. It's really pretty here. This is a couple blocks from my house.

Kamigori After the Rain


Today's drink of the day is to address concerns that I may not be getting a sufficient amount of vitamin C in my diet:

Dekavita C
Dekavita C


It's another "power drink" from Suntory. That's how everyone here refers to energy drinks. This one is mostly vitamins, and it tastes pretty good. Better than a lot of energy drinks in the US, anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment